Each year, more than 3,500 high school students from across the country participate in the VFW Auxiliary’s Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest. The scholarship contest began in 1979 to recognize up-and-coming artists and encourage patriotism in youth.
The Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest is open to all students, including home-schooled students, in grades 9-12. Students must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. National with a maximum age of 18 at the time of local entry.
***NEW THIS YEAR***We’re excited to announce the Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest will accept new forms of art! Beginning this Program Year (2018-2019), two and three dimensional art will be accepted!
- Two-dimensional art must be on canvas or paper. Watercolor, pencil, pastel, charcoal, tempera, crayon, acrylic, pen, ink, oil, marker or other media taught may be used.
- Three-dimensional art can be paper, papier-mâché, pottery, clay, metal work, fabric, etc.
- Digital art, photography and jewelry are NOT ACCEPTED.
Art will be judged on patriotic theme and technique. One winner from each Department (state) will be forwarded to VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters. View the 2018 National and Department Winners.
- Entries received by local VFW Auxiliary – March 31
- Entries received by Department (state) – April 15
- Entries received by National Headquarters – May 5
- First Place: $15,000 scholarship
- Second Place: $7,500 scholarship
- Third Place: $3,500 scholarship
- Fourth Place: $1,500 scholarship
- Fifth through Eighth Place: $500 scholarship