VFW and Auxiliary leaders participate in annual Legislative Conference
More than 500 VFW and Auxiliary members attended the 2016 VFW Legislative Conference February 28 – March 3 in Washington, D.C. The annual conference amplifies the voices of the nearly 1.7 million members of the VFW and its Auxiliaries, reminding lawmakers of the promises they’ve made to America’s service members. Notable events from the conference include:
- Before a joint hearing of the Senate and House Veterans Affairs Committees, John A. Biedrzycki Jr., national commander of the VFW, delivered testimony focused on recommendations for transforming the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide America’s veterans with a more effective and efficient health care system.
- VFW and Auxiliary members met with their elected officials, explaining in detail the VFW’s stance on a variety of veterans’ issues.
- The VFW hosted a dinner at the National Press Club for more than 90 wounded warriors and caregivers from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, along with their families.
- House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller (R-Fla.) was presented the 2016 VFW Congressional Award in recognition of his efforts to improve the VA’s ability to deliver timely and quality health care.
- Pentagon-based, Fox News national security correspondent Jennifer Griffin was presented the 2016 VFW News Media Award for her efforts to help America better understand the foreign and domestic threats to America.
- Grayson Campbell, sponsored by VFW Post and Auxiliary 10555 in Panama City Beach, Fla., was named the VFW Voice of Democracy competition first-place winner, earning him the T.C. Selman Memorial Scholarship of $30,000.
- Shane Stafford, sponsored by VFW Post 10468 in Searchlight, Nev., earned a $5,000 award when he was named the first-place winner of the VFW’s annual Patriot’s Pen contest.